Reflections on Jen Porter’s “The Gamification of education:
A behaviour analytic perspective”
A behaviour analytic perspective”
On November 16, Jen Porter presented to EDDE 806 on her proposed
area of research for her dissertation, “The Gamification of education: A
behaviour analytic perspective.” The research problem she is hoping to address
is the relative absence of empirical studies on the effectiveness of
gamification in education, even though it has become something of a buzzword in
higher education circles. Jen has been discussing her unique perspective on
gamification in teaching and learning with her classmates both within and
outside of course spaces for some time, so her choice of topic was no surprise.
She approaches this work from a behaviourist perspective—considering the impact
in an educational setting of positive reinforcement, effective feedback, the
imposition of rules and constraints, and “flow” (via Czikszentmihalyi’s 1990 work
on this concept), on students’ motivation and the transfer of knowledge. However,
she has encountered some resistance from various corners because people have a
strong negative reaction to the idea of behaviourism—perhaps because they
associate it with earlier versions of this approach.
The format of Jen’s presentation was thorough and
methodical, yet accessible. One challenge I had was that, while I am familiar
with the concept of gamification and numerous aspects of it that Jen laid out
in the presentation, her methodology is very different from the work I have
been reviewing in my own research. Because of this, I would probably benefit
from a bit more explanation of some of the methods she plans to use in her
research. For example, a more detailed explanation of hierarchical linear
modeling and the use of ANCOVA and MANCOVA, and how these would be useful in a
relatively small study, would help me to understand this project better. But that
may be more of a commentary of my own limitations in this area. Also, I am
always a fan of people utilizing the methods and school of thought that they
are advocating for. In other words, would there have been a different way of
presenting this project that utilized behaviourist analytic approach?
Regarding the use of graphics and other elements in the
slides: I liked the variety, and the visualization of the game elements into
the three categories of Dynamics, Mechanics, and Components helped me to understand
the concepts. The value of using images of James Paul Gee and his publications
was less clear, perhaps, but I have the most concern about the use of the graph
that showed the simplified and limited concept of “the art of flow.” Visuals
make a strong impression on viewers—if this was meant to be an example of what
not to do in this study, it should at least be countered by a visual depiction
of what one should do. Otherwise, viewers will retain this image in their
memories, and perhaps recall the project in a mistaken or misleading way.
Because this project is so different from my own, it is hard
to determine what I might take away from this presentation that I might use in
my own research. Jen’s commitment to the work certainly shines through, though,
and it has certainly led me to take a closer look at behaviour analytics and how
it might apply to my work as an educator.
References:
Csikszentmihalyi, M. (1990). Flow: the psychology of optimal experience. New York: Harper &
Row.
No comments:
Post a Comment