I think the idea of cultural literacy is more or less dead, since it
has typically been used as a proxy for arguing that Americans (or Western
Civilization, more generally) should all embrace and adhere to a standard canon
of all the great works of art. Many would include movies in discussions of the
canon, and certainly my friends and colleagues often do.
I’ve often felt left out of the conversation when it comes to certain
movies that of course everyone has seen (except me). I know enough about them
to nod in vague agreement or to cover by saying something like, “I’ve heard
that the director…” whatever seems appropriate to say at that point.
But it is time to come clean. This list could change, if someone
insists I must see one of these. But that has happened before and I have
resisted, mainly through lethargy or a reluctance to watch a three-hour epic.
But go ahead—make a case. Or share your own list.
8-1/2
A Separation
Alien
Alien 3
Alien Resurrection
Aliens
An Officer and a Gentleman
Beauty and the Beast (any version)
Ben-Hur
Blade Runner
Dawn of the Dead
Django Unchained
Exorcist
Friday the 13th (any of them)
Frozen
Full Metal Jacket
Gandhi
Hateful Eight
Home Alone
Hurt Locker
Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Jurassic World
Kramer vs. Kramer
Lawrence of Arabia
Life of Pi
Lord of the Rings (the whole trilogy)
Malcolm X
Million Dollar Baby
No Country for Old Men (but I read the book)
Once Upon a Time in the West
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
Paranormal Activity
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Scarface (I did see the 1931 version)
Seven Samurai
Shawshank Redemption
Slumdog Millionaire
The Aviator
The Aviator
The 400 Blows
The Help
The Lion King
The Passion of the Christ
The Pianist
The Professional
The Revenant
The Twilight Saga
There Will be Blood
Top Gun
Whiplash (even though my son is a drummer at the same high school where
the director attended)
Wolf of Wall Street
Yojimbo
No comments:
Post a Comment